Friday, April 3, 2009

Prelude, Part Deux

P-Rock here.

I've always been one to enjoy getting my hands dirty learning and doing things mechanical. The new BMW motorcycle is no different in that regard. In the past few weeks I've had it reasonably disassembled multiple times for maintenance and improvements. This last round of work was by far my most ambitious. I had to install a new pair of shocks, a GPS and associated wiring - including an XM satellite receiver tied into the bike's communications system, remove my antique 6 CD changer which was taking up valuable clothing (beer) space, a set of highway pegs and a new set of speakers.

So I proceeded to tear the beast down to it's undies and get started. As you can see it was quite the project, but the end result will be worth it. In order to accomplish all of this work I had to remove the left front, right front, nose, instrument panel and right rear body panels. Then I had to remove the seat, passenger seat, the "Stingray" which houses the radio and com system and the gas tank. I then performed some surgery on the front and rear speaker assemblies to install my new Polk speakers, removed and replaced the front and rear shocks, bolted on the highway pegs and then installed a new shelf for the GPS. This all took place between Friday and Sunday last weekend.

Once wiring was complete I buttoned her all back up (for now). I still have to install a steering damper, a new brake pedal and the trunk lock, but none of those require the major surgery this did. And you know, I did all this work and then had to leave town on business, so I haven't even had the chance to ride it yet with all of the new goodies. I guarantee you it'll get a workout this weekend, so I can get the shocks adjusted to my liking. Also, doing this kind of work gets the bike all dirty and grimy, so it'll be bath time as well. All-in-all, a very satisfying experience. Of course the best news was putting the key in the ignition and having the bike start - no leaks, shorts or other issues - **AND** the GPS worked first time out, including the XM radio. WOOHOO!

Now where did I leave that beer?

P-Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment