Saturday, July 25, 2009

Dead Presidents - In Rock and On Paper


P-Rock - Breaking Spokes

Day 25 - Watford City, ND to Sturgis, SD






View Larger Map

Another one for the books folks. First off, we saw literally at least a hundred antelope today (but no deer and no buffalo roaming either). As we exited our hotel room early this morning, this is what we were presented with. Now frankly, if it was me, I am not sure I would have picked this name for a convenience store. What do you you think? It might have a ring to it for some, but how would you like to say you work at the "Kum and Go"? Hmmmm?

The ride south from Watford City started out boring enough, with the same rolling hills we saw yesterday. But that all changed about 20 miles in when we crossed the Little Missouri River. We started to see some real scenery and had a very enjoyable ride down to the Sturgis Area.

After that we went to see "the Presidents" at Mt. Rushmore. I found the monument to be an incredible piece of sculpture and frankly very impressive. Of course, we have Mr. PJ Hat sitting on George W, right where he belongs.

Following that we dropped up into Sturgis, walked around the town (not much going on yet, 2 weeks before the big rally) and stopped into the Broken Spoke for a beer. Again, pretty sleepy yet - but I am thinking it'll be thunderously loud soon enough.

We start hauling noogies east tomorrow in a big way. Also, there are reports of forecast Thunderstorms moving in here tomorrow so we need to get and stay at least a day ahead of them. I think it will be good to get home now. My butt needs the break.

And now for a few of my thoughts on the trip in reflection as we start to head home.

GPS

A device that has not really failed me until this trip. In Northern Canada and Alaska it really had quite a few very flaky moments where it lost position for minutes at a time. Very surprising really if you ask me. Also, it has steered us wrong on a few occasions, the most notable being a hotel location last night. It dropped us off right in a residential cul-de-sac, when the hotel was across town. Go figure.

GMRS/FRS Radios.

Probably the most unused, but most handy device we have had on board. Blackie and I were of the mind to take in the scenery and experience and not ruin it with a whole lot of chat. In fact, we ended up having a decent set of hand signals worked out even though we had the radio handy. When we needed them they were a godsend.

Satellite Radio.

I had XM, Blackie Sirius. Both worked well up until the Yukon, which is their advertised service limits. For that part of the trip we used IPods most of the time. However Sat reception is actually very good and reliable up through Alberta and BC, and it was a lifesaver on the long days.

All-Weather Overboots.

Lasted less than one day. Total Trash. I'm not really sure why they are still packed in with my stuff, and I would not recommend them to anyone on a bike. Just waterproof your biker boots and you will stay as dry as you can imagine.

Border Crossings

Avoid remote border crossings. Really. We made several border crossings and did not have a bit of trouble until we encountered Officer Fife. In fact, in all my years of travel we have not ever been searched like we were yesterday.

Anti-Monkey Butt Powder

A real necessity. This stuff is magic I tell you. I have had the softest, driest, monkey-butt free posterior known to any man astride a motorcycle for 9000 miles in 25 days. Two thumbs up to Robin and Paul. You can touch my tushie anytime to check it out. OK, not really. At least you Paul.

Beer

We have not found a bad local brew yet. I'm sure they're out there, (bad ones, that is), but our experience has been superb the entire way.

Money

A necessary evil. Canadian money really stinks though. It's funny colors and they have no one dollar bills. They also use one and two dollar coins which really are a pain. Honestly. Besides, is it really real money? It doesn't look like it to me.

Best Westerns

Going into this trip I had a really bad opinion of the Best Western hotel chain. My past (limited) experience was that they were old hotels and not well kept up. However to a location - we stayed in several of them too - we found them to be clean, neat, well kept and a good value.

OK, long winded enough, again.

P-Rock - Looking for a local brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment