Monday, July 20, 2009

Wildlife - Next 10km


P-Rock- Soaking in the Hot Tub.

Day 20 - Whitehorse, YT to Bell 2, BC






View Larger Map

Yes, there really is a place called Bell 2, BC. It's a heli-skiing lodge and the only gas stop within 150 km in either direction on the Cassiar Highway. It's a place our friends Keith and Sally really need to get to. I'm posting some pictures of the room, which is set against the Canadian Rockies at a heli-skiing base north of Mezhadin (sp?) Junction. They have a wonderful outdoor hot tub and sauna and an excellent dining facility. Their on-site heli-skiing operation is called Last Frontier Heliskiing, and from the looks of this facility, must be first rate.

Today's scenery completely - and I mean COMPLETELY exceeded expectations. Blackie has that story for you. We blew past our planned stop of Dease Lake by 150km, hoping to try to get a day ahead of schedule in the next few days. Tomorrow we visit Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK and then continue South and East.

While on the Cassiar today, Blackie and I stopped for a great photo opportunity which I'm sure he'll post. However if you ask me, the signage says it all.

We saw some cool wildlife and then happened upon the Bell 2 just in time to collect dinner, a glass of wine and a soak in the hot tub. We're working on stolen internet, thanks to Blackie's having a ethernet cable with him. The lodge charges $27 for "internet access" with access control via the cable they give you. They should have known who they were dealing with!

In case you were wondering, I took a picture of a gravel (or pavement) break today. I know we've been using the term but haven't really shown you one. For the most part (except on the Taylor Highway, where Blackie and I surmised that they ran out of signs) they are well marked, but it's dicey whether they are hard-packed (that's good) or loose gravel (very, very bad). Today, these were mostly hardpack.

I will leave you with this photo, reminding you all that I take my photographs left-handed. What's wrong with this picture?

P-Rock- Exactly who IS in control here?

1 comment:

  1. Hey P-Rock and Blackie!! I’ve been following your blog and reading it’s become one of the new daily habits. I checked out the heli-skiing site. What a place!! Heli-skiing is on the ‘bucket’ list but I better start saving some coin now because man does it cost a pretty penny! Stay safe! Can’t wait to see you back at Slacker and hear even more stories! Hugs to you both!!

    ReplyDelete