Sunday, July 5, 2009

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'


P-Rock - Coming to you from Saskatchewan

Day 5 - Winnipeg, MB to Saskatoon, SK



View Larger Map

Another excellent riding day, in spite of some showers and cold weather. We were rolling mostly on 4 lane highways today, the last day for quite awhile. My riding expectations for today were quite low. I had spoken to a V-Rod forum friend a few weeks ago that portrayed today's ride as FLAT, FLAT and more FLAT. Well honestly, it was pretty flat, but there was certainly more terrain than I expected. Also, the views were at times nothing short of spectacular - being able to see for what seemed to be a 100 miles in every direction.

This was all in spite of a very shaky start. After we programmed the GPS's we started out blindly following directions that took us out into the country on a road that suddenly turned into gravel with no warning - all right after a sign advising that the speed limit was 90 kph. Those BMW's handled the adversity with real style though. Check out Blackie's blog for more pics of this little adventure.

We stopped in mid-morning for a nice breakfast at a place called "Smitty's" in Western Manitoba. I had what seemed to be a great mexican scramble that about 6 hours later came screaming out of me taking anything else left in my digestive system hostage. Not a pretty site and I'm sure not a pretty thing to read in a blog - but hey it's all part of the experience, right? Let's put it this way - at least it wasn't an international pollution control incident. Now the good news is that after my breakfast made it's emergency stage left I am feeling a whole lot more human.

I've had an issue the last couple of days with my tailbone bothering me at the end of each day. Today it seemed to be better, and we rolled about 500 miles - so perhaps that's behind me.

I want to toss out a special mention to my brother John and my sister Brenda. Each of them were very thoughtful around my birthday, with John giving me a BMW fleece and Brenda a set of tourmaster riding gloves. Both have been put to good use and I want to thank you both. You are the best.

Mrs. Rock is off galavanting with her aunt down in Virginia this weekend. It sounded like she's having a good time, most notably because when I am calling her with my status calls (Mrs. Rock insists on a call so she knows not to call the insurance company) :) she is not answering.

Blackie and I are going to go tear up Saskatoon now. It's a very lovely town - much cleaner and very picturesque - much more than I would have imagined.

P-Rock - fresh as a daisy.

1 comment:

  1. So nice to hear about your digestive challenges. I hope you weren't wearing a one piece suit at the time. I'm glad the fleece has come in handy and hopefully doing its job. Every morning I look forward to reading your blog. It is such a cool thing you guys are doing. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete